Goof-Ups!!

All those who are looking forward to another dose of a philosophical anecdote, please return to your respective works..(of course if you have anything worth doing :) for i m in no mood to ponder over so called " the very being" phenomenon and certainly not over "the search within".... I have just returned from a very memorable trip to Marine Drive (wow, how awesome that was!!) and i m in mood of top gear Masti :) so i have this urge to pen down some lighter moments...

I m sure, everybody has his share of Goof-Ups in life; but God seems to be too generous with me in this area, for me to be gifted with too many, too frequent, and too impossible of such moments..i m still amazed by the amusement and discomfiture striking in equal amount on such happenstances....there are few of them really unforgettable...


One of the first memories is obviously from schooldays.in my 5th standard class, being the class monitor, i had the responsibility of supervising the smooth distribution of workbooks to all the students. Accompanied by my two deputies, I went to an isolated and dingy storeroom, sorted out the workbooks and sent the whole lot to the class with the deputies. somehow in the hurry of an lined up essay competition on that day, i never noticed one of the deputies still staying back in the room; engrossed in some sorting work and locked the storeroom with a big fat reliable Godrej lock;key resting in the tiny pocket of my schoolbag to be given in the office. i rushed to the class where the competition was being held, too happy to have a cakewalk kinda subject for extempore writing,and soon got deep into thoughts. it would all have been smooth except for a peon who came interrupting and asking for a class monitor with keys to the storeroom because some students had heard "mysterious and scary screams" from inside the room and the administration wanted to check the details. the locked one was a good friend (atleast before he was locked in) and i had to make an ultra-superlative effort to convince him that it was just a mishap and i was not pulling a fast one on him...afterall spending some 2 hours alone amongst spiderwebs and humongous pile of workbooks in an isolated room for a 5th standard boy is ofcourse not exactly a dream situation!!! (observation - nobody had even noticed his absence for two hours in the class...too much..)


The another one i recall was at one of the Felicitation Ceremony of Merit Rankers. (Note: Felicitation Ceremony of Merit Rankers is defined as "a hilarious annual event conducted by prestigious social institutions in every town where a student has to publicaly declare the exact percentage share of various factors in his success i.e. family, teachers, own efforts etc") on one saturday morning, while i was lazying in the bed thinking about the ceremony to be attended at 7.30 in the evening, i got a call from a friend informing that the ceremony had already started and asking why was i late.Jumping from the bed, i cursed myself for assuming it to be 7.30 in the evening, grabbed a decent looking salwaar-kameez from the wardrobe and almost ran to the venue. (Brahmin Sabha : 5 min from my home) fortunately my prize was still not announced.catching everybody's attention, i made way to where my friend was sitting and hoped now everything would be fine. But God was practising his worst sense of humor on me.


My friend looked aghast, and shrieked, "look at you..what have you done, cant you wear you suit properly?" At second glance i realised, in a hurry i was wearing the suit inside out and it projected a different design altogether (huh!!) on top of this, within moments my prize was announced, i had to go to the dias...shit..that was bad...i braved the chances of not getting laughed at, received the medal shiveringly and also survived through the Kodak moments...continuously i was feeling the eyes of all the people on me and an imaginary wave of mocking laughter ringing in my ears..i had never felt so embarrasing ever in my life...(observation- nobody ever asked me about my suit other than my friend, and only if she were to keep mum, i would have been so much more confident on the dias)


The last one i want to write about is an epic in itself. A very renowned Marathi Poet Sudheer Moghe was in town for a cultural Programme and he was to stay the night at our house. (Marathi readers would know him as a famous poet of 'fite andharache jale' ) we all chatted up in the night,had an excellent session of his poetry reciting and i went off to sleep happily with an experience of meeting one of my fav poets. the next day as usual i got up at four in the morning for studies, and saw the message written "mala 5 la uthav -Dada" ( "Please wake me up at sharp 5.00- ur big bro") when it was the time, i went to my bro's room and in usual cordial manner shaking him to make him get up said " e dholya, uuth na kay ghorat padla ahes ghodyasarkha?" ( "you big fat bully snoring like a horse, get up fast ")


suddenly the person sat up in the bed saying " yes yes..mi mi sudheer...kay zale, kay zale?" ( "oh..yes, yes..i m sudheer, whats wrong there?") as soon as i heard those words, half mumbling my apologies, i ran out and vanished from there and did not even dare show my face to him till he was about to leave. my family members and especially my bro made the fullest use of this event to pull my leg iterating and reiterating it in front of every person visiting my house in next few days then...


There are still so many of them...after some days you feel like laughing your lungs out on these things, but the mortification of the moment...who else would be a better person to ask about it other than the goofer who is writing all these things at this crazy hour in the night ;)

Comments

Mayur said…
i have better things to do so i did not read beyond 3rd line.....
Rohan Athalye said…
Hey tht was just awesome VJ.....very funny...especially the third instance...

I myself have also had soooooo many goof ups...one I remember vividly when I had been to a Puja...and an aged woman came to me with a Pooja thaali (having kunkoo for Tilak) and she placed it before me and I asked her, "Ur forehead or my forehead"......... :)

Hey but awesome read VJ....keep writing... :)
Vedavati Joshi said…
hehehe...baba u 2!!!!

i guess goof-ups add the spice to life,and the biggest thing they teach you is jus to laugh at urself, mind u a tough thingie sometimes :)
Clueless said…
wow... I had no idea!!... Really a good read.. If only i knew this when i was the wall paper sec. I would have made u famous!!

:D
Mandar said…
It does happen to all :-) Taking ur inspiration I'm also going to pen down some of mine....

Chk out my blogs too @

http://www.blogger.com/profile/17083563653064213829
Nikhil said…
ohk...
it was nice to read ur kissas...
it was actuallly something unexpected...
(plz dont ask y...)
:p

ani ha...
to (wake me up at 5 wala saheeeee )ahe !!!

Popular posts from this blog

Placements...

A Rendezvous much needed...